In 1954 Sir Neil and Lady Isaac acquired a homestead and 5ha of land at Harewood. After establishing the site as the location for the family home, the land would also soon house the main Isaac Construction Company office.
In 1957 quarrying began. The formation of Memorial Avenue was the initial impetus behind this work. As other projects required additional shingle from the site further voids were created. Looking to the spaces left in the landscape, Sir Neil and Lady Isaac would be inspired to provide something back to the land. This resulted in the formation of what would be the first of many conservation waterways – Lake Diana.
The rehabilitated area was named Peacock Springs, and within it the beginnings of a sustainable and expansive habitat for flora and fauna was established.
In 1977 The Isaac Wildlife Trust was formed to ensure the continuity of their work. The purview of the Trust was expanded to include not just the creation of The Isaac Conservation Park but also to assist with the increasing need for protection of endangered bird, reptile and plant species. This was a labour of love for Sir Neil and Lady Diana. They worked on it together every year up until his death in 1987. Lady Diana then took over the Trust’s chairmanship, growing the property considerably.
In 2009 the Isaac Conservation and Wildlife Trust was established. The Trust Deed clearly identifies the future direction of the conservation and wildlife activities of the Isaac Conservation Estate. The Isaac Conservation Estate assets are now vested and administered through The Isaac Conservation and Wildlife Trust. Since it’s simple beginning in 1957 the conservation land has expanded to cover some 1100ha, including an expanded quarry operation, salmon farm and general grazing and farmland.
Lady Isaac passed away in November 2012. Amongst her many achievements, the improvement and protection of this land and its wildlife surely rates as one of her greatest. The Isaac Conservation and Wildlife Trust will ensure this great work lives on in perpetuity.